Thursday, October 30, 2014

Imagine the Fire.

About a little over a month ago, during a night vigil service, our pastor had a near death experience halfway through his sermon. It happened seconds after he had said the words, "I want to see you, Jesus." The words carried the weight of his faith and in no time, he floated away. That very second, prayers were lifted up by the congregation. He was in a comatose state for a month until his eyelids parted to welcome him back to the land of the living.

There is a line in the neurosurgeon Eben Alexander's book that reads, "You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever. You have nothing to fear. There is nothing you can do wrong." This statement has stayed with me since I read that book, and I am- beyond all reasonable doubt- certain that there is life after this one.

Death is a medium- a door- through which we all walk to experience the aftermath of our lives. Some already have, others will in no time. The fact that you do not believe it doesn't make it surreal. On the contrary, it existed before you entered this life, and it will be after you exit. Simple truths are hard to believe but they are our salvation. Personally, I think it's only fair that in a world run by the devil, people believe his existence more than they do God. The mistake is that you fail to understand that the devil is not the opposite of God. God is above all else. He stands alone in his excellence and goodness. He has no equal, and there isn't a complete badness contesting the complete goodness of God. When I watched the recent version of Left Behind, I understood the young lady's unbelief. It easy to see darkness when you are surrounded by light. You can instantly tell when something doesn't fit. The same cannot be said when you have lived your entire life in the reigns of darkness. At first you have hope and somewhat belief, and then slowly that hope flickers into oblivion. The weight of that darkness can crush your dreams and hopes because it is designed to.

When I watched the film heaven is for real, it amazed me  how some of us Christians sit in church with something camouflaged as faith. The Christians could not get past the fact that heaven was real. Being a Christian is hard, I know. But our assurance is that God is with us even through our bouts of unbelief, and shortcomings. God has always been painting the bigger picture. One which may be beyond but we are called to, regardless. It is easy to believe in the depravity of the human existence: the hatred, greed, and the sheer evil that lingers in the hearts of many. It is always easy to believe that there is no God. True or not, death awaits your arrival. I used to think that death visited each one of us when our timer clocked in. What I failed to realize was that we were marching towards death. Our steps maybe like that of the tortoise but we are on our way to a door that leads to the next. Whether or not you believed in God and his gift of eternal peace in the afterlife, don't wait to find out. It will be too late for you. What do you have to lose? Your so called perfect life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I wish you would tell me something every now and then....