The young black beauty could not be bothered by the rampant comments about her color as she walked past the high school building. No, she couldn't. Her ears were near deaf at each step and her mind was lost in her own issues. Anthony, her friend, had asked her out on a first date and was waiting for an answer. She had near none, little feelings towards him but they were the kind she'd feel for her brother or distant cousin. She could at this point ascertain that it was not the kind relationships were built on. Anastasia walked briskly as the dark clouds formed together in the distant sky. Her hair could be ruined by any unpredictable rain and that was something she wanted to avoid. Although she felt responsible for Anthony's current state of mind, she was not going to give in out of pity. The thought of refusing him had crossed and circled back in her mind several times that afternoon but she was incessantly reminded that saying no would make Anthony try harder. And she didn't need more attention and pressure. It is human nature to want what one can't have. When the first rain drops reached her glass windows, Anastasia had dished out her leftovers from the previous night, and changed into something warm. She warmed it in the microwave and enjoyed her early lunch as the rains had their way.
The rains had ruined my day, and my clothes. I was soaked and somehow did not feel the need to run home. I loved the rain. It was one of my favorite things about nature. Rains were blessings to me, although I was starting to think that I had pampered them too much. Nothing gave me solace like the rain. Summer rains were the best, unpredictable but had impeccable timing. I walked back to the house in such style and elegance feeling proud that I had not succumbed to the need to run. I was already soaked in rain and I had nothing else to prove. Fortunately, my notes were tucked in the warm spaces of my bag. I set them on my table and dashed to the bathroom for a quick shower. My day had come to an abrupt end. Jennifer had stopped calling. She had given up, and I applauded her effort to recoil into my life, but my fences had a no -entry policy.
The elevator doors parted slowly. He stepped out on the tiled floor and pressed the doorbell. Anastasia heard the doorbell rang but she refused to answer. "Hold on!" Deloris shouted from her room. He made a second attempt at the doorbell and a third and a fourth. "I said hold on!" she screamed from the hall. When she finally opened the door for the young man who was fashionably handsome and unbelievably calm, her anger dissolved into sheer surprise. He smiled at her. "Did you come to see me?" Deloris asked as a smile creased her face. "No, I came to see Anastasia." He answered. "Please, is she in?" Deloris welcomed him in. "That's her room." She said
No comments:
Post a Comment
I wish you would tell me something every now and then....