Friday, August 10, 2012

Passions: What If....


I come from a country that hardly places any great value on talent. And even if they do, it's not much. Now you understand why I used the word "hardly". Growing up for me was no easy feat. I had friends that were better than me academically, and somewhat at sports. I wanted to play soccer but my mum gave me one hell of a beating anytime I did. Over time, I gave up because I sucked at soccer and getting my ass whooped over it, wasn't worth the hustle. I wouldn't stretch much on academics because I have always thought it as not one of my greatest assets. By the time I turned 9, I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and everything I did there on was aimed at becoming this amazing person. Of course, my mistake was I defined myself by what I wanted and by how much I sucked.... lesson well learned. When you define yourself so much by what you study in school and the worldly order of things, you loose track of who you really are on the inside and who God created you to be. Who are you, anyway? Let this question sit

Storms come and go. Seasons change. Any foreigner who has lived in Morocco for over a year, will tell you this country has one of the most bizarre weather patterns. Change is a part of the life cycle and everything you get comfortable with, may not necessarily be your comfort when the tide rises and the rocks begin to pelt down on you. Just the other day one of my friends told me on the phone, people change. I laughed at that. But she was right. People change. If it doesn't happen willingly, life and its vicissitudes will make sure it does. If there is anything you can count on to happen when humans are factored into life, it's change. 

How do you define yourself? Is it by your grades in school? Could it be possible that you eyes still haven't grasped the mental picture of who you really are? What are you chasing in life?

If life was a race to fulfillment, then the rich would have a head start. I used to always think that it was, but it isn't. Our pursuit of money and the unsatisfying riches of this world clouds our judgement and we become desperate for it and frustrated when it's not happening when we want it to. Could it be that your whole life has been about the money? You've been obsessed to get you some of that good good and you will become a crook even if it means getting some of that. Education has no value, your top degrees means nothing if you are going to be a corrupt leader, and misuse resources. My country is on the list of corrupt nations and you'd think that the people who are being corrupt are the ones that have wallowed in poverty all their life. It's always safe to think that the one being corrupt never had money growing up. And as true as that is or may be, that may not always be the case... not in my country at least. 50 cent has an album titled "Get rich or die trying" he even made a movie about it. And yes, I've watched it. I used to hum to the song even rap with that instrumental and nodding my head like I lost my mind. But seriously? "Get rich or die trying to get rich?" That is a whole life wasted there. When you are a kid it's never about the money. No, not even close. It's about what makes you happy and the money is like a bonus reward that comes with the dream but you grow up and life eyeballs you day and night. And sooner or later, your focus changes to money. 

You spend your entire life chasing it whilst the rich young person blows up his money on his TOYs (temptations of youth) or gives some to charity. And all we have are people so obsessed about getting rich that it crowds their judgement and blinds their vision. And we live life poor and we die empty like a leaky bucket full of holes. 

If life was a race to get money, the rich would always win because they have the money. When life becomes about money, passion becomes invisible, and small beginnings have no meaning. Even if they do, your morals become so corrupt trying to swim with sharks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I wish you would tell me something every now and then....